Microsoft Open Value
Microsoft Open Value and Microsoft Open Value for Government are comprehensive Microsoft Volume Licensing agreements designed for small- and medium-business (SMB) organizations with 5 to 750 desktop PCs that want a flexible and affordable way to acquire the latest Microsoft technology. Open Value and Open Value for Government provide simplified license management for more control over IT investments, better management of software costs through the advantages of Microsoft Software Assurance for Volume Licensing—which is automatically included—and company-wide and non-company-wide options.
Open Value and Open Value for Government offer perpetual licenses, which are everlasting and valid if the licensed product is being used in accordance with the license-agreement requirements. Open Value and Open Value for Government customers own their licenses and have perpetual use of the licensed products under their agreements as of the time the licenses are acquired.
In addition to the two defined desktop platforms—Microsoft Professional Desktop Platform and Microsoft Small Business Desktop Platform—Open and Open Value for Government offer a customized “build your own platform” model that will help give customers the flexibility they want without increasing complexity. Customers can mix and match products from the three desktop platform groups:
- Microsoft Office System License and Software Assurance Packs
- Windows Desktop Operating System Upgrade License and Software Assurance Packs
- Server License and Software Assurance Packs
For the company-wide option, customers must standardize desktop platform products on all desktop PCs across their organizations and must order licenses for all qualified devices that can run any of the chosen desktop platform products. The only devices that customers need not order licenses for are computers that are used as servers; devices that contain an embedded operating system, such as thin clients and Pocket PCs; and devices that are used only for line-of-business applications, like a hotel management system.
All customers can acquire additional non-desktop platform products as specified in their license agreements. Download the most recent Microsoft Product List for Volume Licensing to see the wide selection of Microsoft software products (application, system, server, and services) available for Open Value and Open Value for Government.
Microsoft Software Assurance for Volume Licensing
Microsoft Software Assurance for Volume Licensing is a comprehensive maintenance offering that helps customers get the most out of their technology investments. It combines the latest software with phone support available 24 hours a day, partner services, training, and IT tools that help customers deploy, manage, and migrate software. Software Assurance benefits vary with each Volume Licensing program. In addition, server licenses come with benefits that are different from those for desktop licenses.
Software Assurance is included for every license acquired through Open Value and Open Value for Government and can be used immediately throughout the term of the license agreement.
Software Assurance benefits for Open Value and Open Value for Government extend across the software life cycle and cover planning, deployment, testing, usage, maintenance, and migration processes. Benefits include New Version Rights, Spread Payments, Desktop Deployment Planning Services, SharePoint Deployment Planning Services, Exchange Deployment Planning Services, Business Value Planning Services, Windows 7 Enterprise, the right to subscribe to the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance, Training Vouchers, Microsoft E-Learning, Employee Purchase Program (company-wide option only), Home Use Program (for Microsoft Office system license and Software Assurance packs), 24?7 Problem-Resolution Support, Cold Backups for Disaster Recovery, TechNet Subscriptions Through Software Assurance, and Extended Hotfix Support.
Forefront Identity Manager
Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) 2010 changes the current state of identity management by providing powerful end user self-service capabilities. IT professionals are also given more tools to solve day-to-day tasks such as delegating administration and creating workflows for common identity management tasks. In addition, FIM 2010 is built on a .NET and WS-* based foundation for developers to build more customized and extensible solutions.
- With FIM 2010 end-users can easily perform self-service tasks such as group and distribution list management with self-help tools integrated into a SharePoint-based console as well as directly in Microsoft Office Outlook.
- FIM 2010 provides IT professionals with the tools they need to manage identities through a SharePoint-based policy and workflow management console.
- Developers have access to extensibility features through extensive public APIs.
Delivering agility and efficiency
- FIM 2010 integrates enterprises' heterogeneous infrastructure, including directories, databases, and line of business applications.
- FIM 2010 enables management of heterogeneous strong authentication systems, such as third-party certificate authorities.
Increasing security and compliance
- FIM 2010 provides management features that enable system auditing and compliance. By integrating the tools IT uses to manage identities, credentials, and resources, FIM 2010 helps organizations integrate policies across the organization and secure the enterprise.
- Integrated management tools allow organizations to better enjoy the security benefits of strong authentication.